Thought turns to cows -

Somehow, this morning, Jane and I both ended up with the image of cows in our poems. I offer you hers, then, mine.





Rainclean


the day rises in fullness
gladdening everything
under its canopy
a celebration of small things,

morning
moonrise
and the cow whose nose
froths the wet grass
with pearled
breaths
one upon the other,

free of
sorrow.





Ah, I breathe that in. 

My writing this morning was filled with a mist of tears not yet dropped, and yet, I, too, felt "free of sorrow."

We wrote from the same place.










Three Days til my Second Chemo Treatment   




















































































 

Taste

what is
here now

in the
moist realm

of tears


        held

right
behind my eyes

waiting
to fall

        from warmth

and open
outside,

perhaps
to slide down

         my nose,

even
into my mouth,

a circular ride, for those tears,

        not ready yet,

         to dry,

to the
crystalline structure,

        of salt

        on my cheeks -

not ready yet to fix in form

        what loves to move

        through me now,

             like a line of cows -

         Bow

    to the taste

 of the green of the grass,

            one atom different,

                than the flow

                of blood

                 cleansing

                    the heart

                    and the lungs. 

        Adraimycin -

                Can I see it as cleanse?

                   Red fluid pushed

                    through my vein   

                        by a
nurse,

                        named
Martha,

         as I chew the cud of non-thought,

             like a cow,

               
peacefully planted,

                 on the plains