Space -
I heard Alain de Botton interviewed today on his new book The Architecture of Happiness. It sounds fascinating on considering how we choose and respond to organization of space. I ordered it and I now have The Omnivore's Dilemma by Michael Pollan here, and I understand it is a must-read. Steve and I are leaving for Hawaii next Wednesday and all the books I haven't had time to read are piling up anxious to go on a trip.
I bought my 2007 calendar, since the new year is beginning to fill. I like filling in the birthdates of family and friends, and I see that a good many people I know will celebrate on Tuesday this year, and, there are some Wednesdays also, and other days. I like seeing how the year coheres.
My calendar this next year will celebrate The Group of Seven. "In 1920, a small community of Canadian artists officially became the Group of Seven. The catalog from their first exhibit stated: "The seven artists whose pictures are here exhibited ... are all imbued with the idea that an Art must grow and flower in the land before the country will become a real home for its people." I love that thought and intention. Here is to art in all its forms and manifestations. May each day create and flower, within, and without.
I also read today that the space after a period is now just that, a space. Remember when we used to skip two spaces. It seems we no longer are to do that, though I must admit, I still do. I like space around my sentences, my car, my view.