Good Morning!
This morning Jane and I spoke. There has been a gap in our morning writing which led to what I wrote today. I am in the process of trying, and maybe that is the problem, trying, to understand the balance of being and doing, the pause in the breath, the gap. So, that leads to this. Jane is working with her poems from Squaw, so is not yet represented here. Here are my morning thoughts.
Mind the Gap
mind the gap
we are told at train stations
mind that space that steps between platform
and movement from one piece of land to another.
mind the gap
I say to myself
as I come to my computer after a lapse.
What happened to writing every day?
I ask my mind to mine,
cull, remember
what fills the undocumented place
between platform and where I was
and where I am. The gap is a place
to float. Look down and see
the workings underground,
the rails
of support.
“When the Saints go marching in”
is a song I love
without really considering what it means.
But now I hear it rolling
beneath my feet,
carrying me along
continuously cultivating
each pause, each gap,
connecting, entwining,
celebrating the one that steps